User level: Normal
Blender version: 2.43
Results: Smoke and Fire
The flame particle will be copied and modified to simulate smoke via an alpha texture.
- Follow the Particles Fire or Particles Flame tutorial.
- Create the texture with any paint program. Name it Particle_alpha.tga. It requires an alpha channel. You can use following channels to compose the texture:
- - The RGB map is plain white. With a white RGB map it is easy to simulate colored smoke including black smoke.
- - The Alpha map is visible in the center fading out to the border.
- As black smoke is difficult to see on black background go to shading<F5> -> world buttons and change the background color to a medium color (not white).
The Particle Edit
- In layer two make a copy of Particle_fire name it Particle_smoke
- Move Particle_smoke to layer three <m> or move it away from Particle_fire <g> for easier selection later.
- Display the IPO curve Editor and make the IPO curve single user copy. This ensures we have separate IPO curves for smoke and fire.
- The logic can remain as it is already.
- Rename the IPO curve to Particle_smoke.
- Remove the IPO curves ColR, ColG, ColB.
- Change the IPO curves ScaleY, ScaleZ and add ColA as shown below:
- Use this guide to set the control points:
- Go into editmode (pre 2.49:Go into the UV Face select mode <f>).
- Go to editing buttons <F9>.
- Enable the Alpha button which disables Add.
- Open the UV/Image Editor.
- Open the image Particle_alpha.tga from the preparation
The Emitter Edit
- Now it is time to add the smoke to the fire. Go to layer one and select the Emitter_fire
- Display the logic buttons <F4>.
- Add another always sensor. As we do not need so much smoke the sensor should fire with a frequency of 3.
- Connect this sensor to a new AND controller.
- Connect this controller with a new Edit Object actuator with Add Object "Particle_smoke", Time 60. The smoke will stay twice as long as the flames.
- Now it is time to enjoy the result:
- The density of the smoke can be controlled with the ColA IPO curve and/or with the frequency of the triggering always sensor.
- The shape of the smoke can be controlled with the ScaleY and ScaleZ IPO curves.
- Colored (and animated) smoke can be achieved by adding curves to ColR, ColG, ColB.
- The length, speed and direction of the smoke is controlled by the Particle_smoke's motion actuator.
- Be careful with the number of particles existing in one frame. It will impact the performance and the environment.